Sunday, January 24, 2010

practice makes perfect ?

Funny how practicing on a mannequin is COMPLETELY different from the real thing. I drew blood from a "patient" for the first time this week (except my "patient" was a fellow student who also wanted to practice). I missed the artery the first time, got it down by the third.

It looks so easy. Sit. Point. Insert needle. Draw back.

But the thought that this is the first time....what if it hurts her? What if it hurts me when it's my turn? What if I insert too far, or do something stupid like forget to undo the tourniquet before pulling out the needle? (yeah...very nearly did)

And that was just an easy little thing! What happens when it comes to giving that first intramuscular injection (don't hit that sciatic!), or making the cut the first time in surgery? Scary.

Maybe practicing medicine is like practicing music. You never have a 100% chance of hitting the right note, but the more you practice the more likely you are to hit the note you want. And the more you practice the more refined and beautiful the music sounds.

One thing's for sure -- you never forget the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment